Saturday, September 15, 2012

pumpkin pie milk shakes

We invited some friends over last Thursday night for desserts and coffee. I wanted to be a cute little hostess and make little pumpkin pies with homemade whipped cream. I have made this dessert many times before. It's pretty much the only thing I make when people come over between the months of September and February. Because it's delicious. After the pies came out of the oven I wanted to sample one... to make sure they weren't bad... it's a price I'm willing to pay. Anyhoo, they tasted horrible... like maybe what a pumpkin would taste like if you ate it straight out of the can. (Pumpkins come out of cans right?) I retraced all my pie-making steps and realized that instead of sweetened condensed milk, I used evaporated milk... BIG DIFFERENCE! Evaporated milk is not sweet... at all. So after a trip to our local bakery to pick up another dessert, I decided that ice cream might make the pies taste sweeter. The kids helped me crumble a few pies (crust included) into the blender, scoop some ice cream, drip a little honey and add about a cup of vanilla almond milk. Blend for thirty seconds and O. MY. GOODNESS.  It was delish. The chunks of graham cracker crust made my heart happy.
We will do this again... with sweet pies. September is for things that taste like pumpkins! Enjoy.

*To make mini pumpkin pies:

1 can canned pumpkin
1 5oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs
1Tbsp. cinnamon
1Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice

Stir all ingredients with a spoon until just combined. Pour into mini graham cracker crusts. Bake at 400 for 45min.

No comments:

Post a Comment