Wednesday, November 7, 2012

recycled thanksgiving: glue designs

I try to make the girls something new to wear to Thanksgiving feast at my parent's house every year. Sometimes I get a very specific picture in my head of how things should look and I cannot sleep until it all comes together. I couldn't find fabric to buy that looked like the fabric in my head, so I decided to declare RECYCLED THANKSGIVING! No cotton jersey fabric is safe. I've cut up t shirts, bathrobes, pajama bottoms, maternity tanks, skirts, and socks... anything white and stretchy.

For Stella Belle's shirt I wanted orange with big polka dots. Lord knows I love a polka dot. Luckily, she had a plain white shirt with a few stains on it. I took some Elmer's washable school glue and freehanded circles all over the shirt (with a magazine inside the shirt to prevent sticking together). You could possibly use a stencil or measure the circles if you are classy, but I'm not so I just went for it.
Let the dots dry for a LONG time. Like overnight or maybe longer. I actually did the front first and then did the back the next day. After the dots were all dry, I dyed the shirt using orange RIT dye. The glue washes off in the washing machine after dying is complete.
I also dotted and dyed the sleeves of a men's t-shirt and a few scraps of a ribbed tank. You'll see them reappear in the near future.
Recycled Thanksgiving project number one cost: $2 (for RIT dye). Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. They turned out so cute! Love this idea.
    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH that is so very, very clever!

    Aloha,
    'just wanted to thank ya for joining me for An Aloha Affair. We have a beautiful team of bloggers hosting this week and I would so love it if you'd join us, again.
    'hope to see ya soon.

    xo,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete