Saturday, November 10, 2012

recycled thanksgiving: ruffle pants

I made these lightweight ruffle pants with recycled cotton jersey. I (sort of) used a simple pant pattern that I learned a few years back. These started out as adult size pajama bottoms. I cut the pattern from each leg then used old shirts for the ruffles...
I dyed them with a few drops of black RIT dye. I wanted them to be a gray-ish color, so I didn't use very much dye. A little goes a long way when it comes to black dye.
After dying, washing, and drying, I added two crooked pockets from an old shirt and used elastic from a pair of Charlie's boxers that were headed to the trash can. Yes, cutting elastic out of my husband's underwear is a million times easier than going to the fabric store with four children to buy it. I also made another pair of pants from a white bathrobe. I love that they are light and ruffled and gray and recycled. I had black RIT dye on hand so recycled thanksgiving project number two was FREE! Raise your hand if you like free pants.

2 comments:

  1. those are too cute!!
    thank so much for linking up with us at an aloha affair! so happy to have you. have a great week-end!
    www.kendrakaypahukoa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! You are so creative, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete