Sunday, March 30, 2014

It's Been A While

Hey there! I have not blogged since the first day of school. I have several reasons for that. In order to tell you those reasons, I'm about to do something that I've made fun of people for doing for years and (I can't believe I'm about to do it) blog about blogging. It's so annoying, but it must be done.

Long before the first day of school this year, I was considering shutting down the old Buffy Sunshine blog. I started this blog because I was taking an Elsie Flannigan art class online. The class required me to show my finished projects on my blog, thus Buffy Sunshine was born. It turned out to be a great way for my mom to see my horrible sewing disasters and keep up with the ins and outs of my days with the kids. I enjoyed blogging in those early days because it forced me to document more of my activities with the kids and I felt free because I thought only my mom and sisters were reading. As the years went on and the numbers on my blogs stats increased, I felt pressure to create "perfect" blog posts. It was still fun, but it was starting to feel like work. Then I found myself just doing "filler" posts to keep the stats up. I was disappointed in myself for trying to "create moments" rather than simply documenting random happenings with our family. There are many bloggers who get paid to blog and they create moments and they do a GREAT JOB at it. However, I wasn't getting paid and I was starting to make Buffy Sunshine more important that other (truly important) things. On the morning of the first day of school one of the kids said, "are you taking these pictures for your blog?" For whatever reason that innocent little question cut me to the quick. I just want to be a mom who takes pictures of her kids on the first day of school. For no reason. I don't want my kids to feel like they are always on a stage. So I took a little break.

But good news for those of you who are still checking in every now and then! (o yes, I can still see that some of you check back every now and then) I will be posting more frequently on this little space starting next week. It will mostly be about my work with Sunshine Magazine and my Alma Louise books and my face wash, but you'll get your Buffy Sunshine fix if you still need it.

I need a place to share about things like face wash without blowing up Facebook every five minutes. So check back! Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment