Friday, February 10, 2012

make your own tortillas

I've wanted to make my own flour tortillas for a while now. I put it off because it takes a long time and makes a big mess... until today. I used the Pioneer Woman's recipe (find it HERE). Her recipe calls for lard. LARD, people. I couldn't bring myself to use lard, so I used organic coconut oil instead. Fact: I did go into a grocery store and look at lard. Then I saw someone coming around the corner and I put the lard back on the shelf really fast because I was embarrassed that I was looking at lard. It just felt wrong... and nasty.
I also replaced the all purpose flour with rice flour. The first few crumbled and burned and I may or may not have whispered a few curse words. They got better as I went along. While I was verbally abusing the gluten free, lard free, crumbly tortillas, Charlie picked the meat off a rotisserie chicken and heated some black beans. We topped it off with fresh avocado, sour cream, green salsa and pepper jack cheese. It was so good. There are not even words.
 So get to work! Make yourself a dang quesadilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment